November 11, 2009

Veterans Day

"This Veterans Day, I believe we should do more than sing the praises of the bravery and patriotism that our veterans have embodied in the past. We should take this opportunity to re-evaluate how we are treating our veterans in the present."
~Nick Lampson


My grandparents live in a small town outside of Tucson, every year a local 4th grade teacher has his students write letters/poems to the local veterans expressing their gratitude and has them read them aloud. A few years ago we were visiting during Veterans Day and had the pleasure of accompanying them to this event. It was such an honor to be there and to watch as these children got up and expressed what we all feel, and to see the pride in my Grandfather was indescribable. I am so thankful to all the veterans, those who are living and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, their lives, for all they have done, and all they continue to do. And if I could, I'd thank that teacher for making this day so special for those Vets and so important to his students, for reminding them how important our Vets are and how we should treat them with all with respect, dignity, and appreciation.

Here is a picture of my Grandfather receiving a letter from a student at the event last year...

I am so proud of him!

1 comment:

Tamara Terrill said...

Oh my gosh! As soon as I scrolled down and saw that picture of your Grandfather I got teary! He is the epitome of who we salute today. Thanks for sharing - I wish we did something like that around here...I just might have to start something:)