January 22, 2010

Vocabulary Lesson

I've always thought I've been fairly decent with my vocabulary, although I must admit it's easier said than done (or in this case, written). Ronnie has recently made it his mission to remind me that I still have trouble using "then" and "than" correctly. It's so frustrating. I don't understand how these two little words still baffle me. It's not like I'm of below average intelligence (or so I think). So, not for any readers out there, but rather for myself, I am posting the definitions of these words so that I am able to refer to them whenever I am posting... Hopefully there will be no more misuse of these two homophones.

Then: Then is used either as a time marker or with a sequence of events.
"Back then we knew what was expected of us."

Than: Than is used in comparative statements and is not related to time.
"He is taller than I am"

Once I get these two down I may need to move on to effect and affect. If there are any other words you think I need to work on, please share!!!

3 comments:

Shy Little Violets said...

HA! That's funny. I hope I didn't give anyone else a complex about it. It's one of the most misused words in the English language. I was trying to define it for Jess the other day and I couldn't even give him a proper definition of the two words, i've just always known the difference but I can't explain it to someone.

Brandy said...

well, there you go. maybe those definitions will help.

Jackie said...

haha...you're hilarious Brandy. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I couldn't care less...if I know what you mean then that's all that matters. Did I use it right??? LOL!