November 12, 2008

More Excellent News!

Curtis is being released from the hospital today, exactly 4 weeks after his accident. After seeing him on the first day, I would have never thought he’d be coming home so fast. I really believe that all the love and support of the people surrounding him helped with the healing process.

He had several different nurses while he was in the ICU, and I appreciated the ones that believed and understood our family bond. They would let us talk to him and touch him, and like my brother JD and his roommate Brandon (who were more then happy to take the “night shift”) just sit in his room for hours on end (of course I’m talking about when he was in a coma).

There were some that didn’t appreciate us being there. One actually asked my Aunt “how would you like it to have all these people hovering over you, touching you?” My Aunt told her that is the way our family is and that was what Curtis was used to. But she agreed that we would do whatever the nurses asked us to do, for Curtis’ sake. I can’t imagine being used to our family and the closeness we have, and not having it or feeling it while you are in a coma, what a lonely feeling that would be. I know some believe that people in comas, don’t feel or hear anything, but I think they’re wrong. How else can you explain Curtis’ miraculous recovery? We surrounded him with all the people that love him, and he’s already going home!

His accident happened so early in the morning, family starting arriving around 3 am. I didn’t receive a call until around noon that day; I think they believe I’m not strong enough to handle such things. So when I talked to my brother, he told me to come see him before they took him into surgery, if I wanted to, of course I did. He wasn’t awake, had been unconscious since the accident, but obviously something was reaching him, somewhere in his mind. Apparently before I got there the doctor asked him a question and Curtis gave him the thumbs up. When you would talk to him, he would squeeze your hand, and I knew he could tell we were there. Everyone needed a little break before they took him in to surgery, so I stood there, holding his hand for a good half hour or so. I tried to walk across the room to get tissues, but when I tried to take my fingers out of his hand, he squeezed tighter, he wouldn’t let go. I had to ask the cleaning lady to hand me the box of tissues.

The whole time he was out or under, or however you’d like to say it, he knew we were there and we loved him. He knew we were supporting him and waiting for his eyes to open. He knew we would all be overjoyed when he could come home. And I’m sure there were times he was tired of listening to all of us babble non stop to him, but if that’s what it takes to get him better, and home, that’s what we’ll do. I feel so lucky and proud to be a part of this wonderful family; I can’t imagine it any other way.

Thanks again to everyone who visited, sent love and prayers, and supported Curtis, our family and friends through this. We can’t tell you enough how much we appreciate it!

God Bless you all!

No comments: