July 19, 2011

I'm a Mom, first

When we built and moved into our house a decade ago my wonderful Aunt Eva gave us (me) this framed poem, as a housewarming, and probably also to remind me to be a Mom first and foremost. You see the women in my family tend to...how do I put this nicely...be a little OCD about cleaning. And while I've tried to be a little more relaxed, I do find myself becoming unglued over the smallest messes. I think I'm posting this as a reminder to myself. When I feel like I'm being pulled in a million directions and there is too much to do, too much to clean, I just need to look at my kids perfect little faces and remember this is when I should concentrate on being a Mom.



Excuse This House



Some houses try to hide the fact

that children live there...

Ours boasts of it quite openly

the signs are everywhere.

For smears are on the windows

little smudges on the door...

I should apologize I guess

for the toys all over the floor.

But I sat down with the children

and we played & laughed & read

And if the doorbell doesn't shine

their eyes will shine instead.

For when at times I'm forced to

choose the one job or the other,

I want to be a housewife,

but first I'll be a Mother.

-Author Unknown


1 comment:

Chanda said...

i love that poem...thanks for the reminder on what's really important!