July 25, 2011

Make Time!

My Mom has the most friends of anyone I know and I'm not talking about facebook friends, I'm talking about real life friends. She has friends from all walks of life, all stages of her life, every income bracket, every social status, etc. Even though she's busy she still makes times for every friend she has. She never closes anyone out of her life.


I realized I needed to make more time for my friends, life is busy, but this is something I needed to do for me. It's easy with the friends who you see all the time, but friends from your past it's a bit harder. Time, distance, life; they change people, maybe too much to be friends again, but how do you know if you don't make the time to try to catch up.


Recently I had the opportunity to catch up with a few friends from high school, I jumped at the chance. It was so nice to see these guys, talk about old times, how life has been, about their kids, and their lives. I knew just from the time spent together that evening that no matter how much time had passed, we'd always be great friends.


Three days ago I logged onto Facebook and was shocked to see that one of these guys I had just caught up with had passed away. I won't get into specifics because it doesn't matter, what does matter is the fact that this loving soul, who's smile, which I never saw him without, could honestly light up a room is gone. He was married straight out of high school and they had two boys. From the conversation I had with him those boys were his pride and joy, he talked about what they were doing in school and their sports. He talked about surviving a horrific car accident and how happy he was to be here with his family. He beamed as he spoke about them. I am so happy I had that last conversation with him, that's what I get to remember.


I want to remind everyone to take the time to talk to people, catch up with old friends, neighbors. Don't ever think you're too busy, because if you wait until you have time, it may be too late.




Me & Spencer Breeze (circa 1993)


~dont judge the hair...please~

3 comments:

The Trenery's said...

Brandy I am so sorry to hear about your friend! I also just lost a close friend and we had just gone to dinner three weeks before she passed away and I am so happy I was able to do that! I totally agree....thats why we need to do a Utah First reunion dinner!! Seriously though!!

Chanda said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend...more great advice from you, my friend!
And I love your hair in that pic...I had the exact same 'do!!

Darci said...

I think your hair looks fabulous! Just like mine does in our pictures together :( I saw his obituary in the paper and I was so sad because he was so close to my age and I thought that is WAY to young to pass away. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. May he rest in peace and I hope his two boys will remember him as the best dad ever! I hope you are okay. Let me know if you need anything! Seriously....and I am so glad that you and I will always and forever be friends. No matter how long time passes between our visits! Love you :)