August 27, 2008

4th Grade

Ethan started school last week, 4th grade. Due to overwhelming growth in our area, which led to building new schools and ultimately boundary changes, he’s going to a new school this year. I’ll be honest, I was a little afraid for him. I remember starting a new school in 4th grade, it was rough for me, I was shy and I didn’t know anyone at my new school. But I know this is different for him. He isn’t shy or timid, he’s very friendly and likable, not to mention all the kids in our neighborhood are now also attending this “new” school. Luckily Ethan has several good friends in our neighborhood, although none of them ended up in his class.
He came home the first day and said how much he liked the new school, his new teacher and how he made new friends in his class. I was so relieved! The second day he seemed quiet when I picked him up. When I asked how his day was and I got the short response of “fine”. I let it go for the time being, knowing that this was something I would need to address with him later in private. That night we sat down and he told me how some of the older boys were picking on him, following him around the play ground, poking him. I told him that kids will tease whoever it seems to upset the most. I told him to ignore them and they’d eventually go away. Ronnie had a different solution, which I believe would have made matters worse. A few days later Ethan came home from school and said the kids were no longer bugging him, they moved on to someone else. He said, “I ignored them and pretended they weren’t there.” He said at first it bothered the kids and they started poking harder, but eventually they realized they weren’t upsetting him and moved onto their next target.
I don’t really remember having to deal with bullies in school, there was one girl in high school who I guess would be called a “mean girl” these days, she liked to verbal confront everyone, including me, but that was about it. For the most part, everyone got along. It’s upsetting as a parent to know that your children have to deal with bullies and “mean girls”. I guess the only thing I can do is try to instill morals and values in my own children that will help them avoid these types of kids, more importantly avoid them becoming these types of kids.

No comments: