August 5, 2008

Regret

Regret…such a simple little word, but so huge at the same time. Regret is the feeling of sorrow or sadness about something previously done or said, that now appears wrong, mistaken, or hurtful. I’ve made plenty of choices in my life, many most people would regret, but I don’t. If I could go back and change any of those choices who knows where I would be or who I would be. If I would have taken a different path at any point in my life, everything could possibly be so different. Who knows who I’d be married to, who my kids would be, or who I’d be.
The only regrets I have are the reasons for the choices I’ve made. I regret being too shy to do or say what I want, I regret that I was too intimidated by this world we live in to go and find my own way, I regret not following my dreams, because I was too afraid of failure, I regret the friends I didn’t make along the way because I was too guarded, and mostly I regret that I've held on to disappointment and hurt, and let it interfere with me being able to forgive as I should.
I’ve recently made a choice in my life that is right for me right now. One day I might regret not letting things go and moving forward, knowing that this hurdle is still in my future, instead of my past. But for now I’ll be content with my choice, for me and my family.
Although I regret the reasons for my choices, I don’t regret the choices. They’ve led me to this point in my life, to Ronnie my wonderful adoring husband, Ethan and Sophia our beautiful children who own my heart and to me, the person I’ve become with all my strengths and my flaws. I’m blessed to be where I am, and there is no regretting that.

1 comment:

Shy Little Violets said...

I love that you wrote these words down. I feel the same way. I wish I could have avoided some of the pitfalls I encountered but really do I regret where they lead me or what they taught me? NO, I wouldn't change a thing.