October 22, 2008

Update

I know it’s been a few days since I wrote about wearing helmets, and I know I said I had something important to talk about, but I still don’t know how to start or where to end. A very dear family member was in a horrible accident and while I’d love to tell you all about him and what makes him such a special person; and so special to me personally, it’s still too surreal to talk about.

What I can talk about is what I’ve learned. In this past week I’ve been able to witness first hand how families in the same circumstances, can react so differently. I’ve watched families come and go through that ICU waiting area, I’ve seen the same pain in their eyes that I have in my heart and I know that although we all feel the same, as humans it’s only natural to have different reactions, but that' what amazes me so much. I’ve realized why my family is so special, it's the way we come together and support each other in difficult times, no matter what else we have going on, our family comes first. I honestly thought all families were like that, but apparently I was so wrong. That doesn't necessarily make my family better then the others we've met this past week, but it's what makes my family the best family for me.

You see, I come from a big family, lots of aunts and uncles, dozens and dozens of cousins and while you would assume with a family that big, it would be hard to be close, it’s not, we are very close. Growing up we spent a lot of time together, of course I spent more time with some then with others, but I still love them all and feel very lucky to have such a special bond with so many of them. Holidays and get togethers were always too loud and too chaotic, but at the same time so fun, exciting and full of love. This crisis that we’ve been going through has given us a priceless reminder of how important we are to each other. In the big scheme of things, what is life, if it’s not to spend it with the ones we love, being happy and making wonderful memories together?

I want to remind my family how much I love them all, and that no matter what else is going on in my life, I’m always here for them.

1 comment:

Trish said...

You said it sister. This is a beautiful sentiment and true. This familial bond was obvious to me instantly upon meeting you and your family. I am sorry to hear about Curtis but, I know that he is going to make it through for exactly this reason. I'm glad to know all of you!
All my love. Trish