October 29, 2008

I'm Ready Now

I’m ready to tell you all about my cousin and his accident. Let me first explain to you how our relationship has been. His Mom, Diann, is a year younger then my Mom and they have always been very close. There came a time when they were both single parents, my Mom raising me and my brother, and my Aunt, raising my cousin Curtis. We spent a lot of time together, the 5 of us, even living together at one point. JD & Curtis were like my little brothers at that time. They grew up as close as best friends can be, even got chickenpox at the same time. To this day they still have that brotherly connection. Quite a few years later I spent a lot of time babysitting Curtis and his two younger sisters. I’ve heard his friends say how cool they thought it was when I babysat, because then they got to hang out with my friends too. Then, as we got older, before either of us met our future spouses, Curtis and I would hang out together. We’d go to the local race track to watch the weekly races, we’d watch Nascar together on the weekends, and we hung out together at the local “lounge” bar. I think we’ve always had a closer relationship then most cousins, and I’ve enjoyed that.

On October 15th, Curtis was in a motorcycle accident. In the beginning the outlook was still unknown and didn't look good. His condition was very critical, and even though he’s making tremendous progress, he is still in critical condition. We haven’t explained the whole situation to Ethan & Sophia. I don’t think Sophia would quite understand, Ethan would, but I think it’s too much for a worrier like him to have to think about right now. Ethan has asked if he’ll look the same, which makes me believe he has been overhearing us talk, I’ve told him he will, he may have some scars, but he’ll still be Curtis. We’ve taken lots of pictures of Curtis through out the process, and most of them don’t resemble the Curtis we love, but I have a feeling he’ll want to see them when he’s all better and looks the same as he did before.

We’ve started a “Carepage” for Curtis to keep people updated on his progress. You can find the link under “My Blog List”.

1 comment:

Sioux said...

Yours is my favorite blog to read (and this is a weird place to post this comment!), but I love how you open up, express yourself, and reach out in writing to the cyberworld. I am so sorry to hear about your cousin, and I truly hope he will continue to make progress. Be strong (you always are), and trust your kids to be strong with you.