June 19, 2008

Ethan Turns 9

I'm having a hard time dealing with the idea that my baby boy is 9, halfway to 18! It's gone by way too fast.
As a mother I couldn't be prouder of him. Everyday he seems to find a new way to amaze me. He has this innate ability to be good at everything he tries (he gets that from Ronnie). No matter what it is, if he wants to do it, he does. For example, before he turned 3, he wanted his training wheels off his bike. I was so afraid for him to get hurt. Ronnie took them off and we both watched with great anxiety, as he rode away, without a wobble or crash. There have been a few times since then that he's come in with road rash from crashing, but that's only when he gets this crazy notion that he is a professional bicycle stuntman (thanks to the movie Rad).
Over the years I've watched him grow from this tiny baby with bird legs into a tough little man, as he's come out of his shell and become more confident in himself, as he's made the change from an only child to a wonderful big brother to Sophia. He's made this great transition from being "one" of a group, you know the "followers", to finding his own self, and becoming an amazing individual.
This year I want to give him a gift that lets him know how proud I am of him, and confirm to him that we believe he's heading in the right direction to become that brillant man we see in him. I guess my first gift to him could be to stop calling him "bug", at least in public.
Well, I guess I'll let you in on what he gets after the birthday festivities conclude, but I can show you what we got him last year.
Shortie
Buying a puppy was a big step, but he was ready for the responsiblity. He picked him out himself, and choose this puppy because, like Ethan, he had a mohawk, only his was white. It's gone now and he's not a puppy anymore, but Ethan still helps take care of him, just another reason I'm so proud of him.

No comments: