June 10, 2008

Know the Signs

I don’t even know where to start this post. I’m at a loss for words.

One of my closest friends is having to deal with a difficult situation right now. One of their dearest loved ones attempted to take their own life. Luckily it was a failed attempt. I cannot comprehend the sorrow or pain that my friend or their loved one must be feeling. I only hope they are able to get the help they need and so deserve so that they are able to move forward and have a happy, fulfilling life.

I want my friend to know that I am here if they need anything at all!
*(I've left out names and "he" or "she" for the purpose of anonymity)

I’m asking everyone to please know the warning signs so that you are aware and are able to seek help for you or your loved ones before it's too late.
  • Talking about Dying
  • Recent Loss (this can include death, divorce, loss of job, money, etc)
  • Changes in Personality
  • Changes in Behavior
  • Changes in Sleeping Patterns
  • Changes in Eating Habits
  • Diminished Sexual Interest
  • Fear of Losing Control
  • Low Self Esteem
  • Hopeless feeling (believing things will never get better)
  • Giving away prized possesions

These are only a few of the signs. If you or anyone you love is experiencing any of these symptoms, please seek help.

For more information log onto:
www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

No comments: