February 13, 2009

Happy Valentines Day

I don’t want anyone to misunderstand what I’m about to say, so first I’ll let you know, I’ve always liked Valentines Day. Everyone in a loving mood, there are hearts and flowers and cupids, red and pink everywhere, how can you not like Valentines Day. I’m not a Valentines Day hater by any means.

My problem with Valentines Day is the fact that we actually have a day on the calendar, to remind us to treat the ones we love, the way we should treat them everyday of the year. Who decided that instead of showering their special someone with love and appreciation everyday, they would choose one day to overdo it, just to make up for the rest of the year when they didn’t show their love enough. My Grandparents were married on Valentines Day, I believe in 1948, and they are still going strong and from what a granddaughter can tell, are still very much in love. It's a reminder to me that it is about so much more then the cards and flowers, it's about everlasting love, and sharing yourself with that one person you love and not for just one day of the year.
Someone asked me today if I thought I was going to get flowers from Ronnie, I said no. They seemed surprised and I reminded them that he sent me flowers early last week. Their reply was “that was last week and today is Valentines Day (at least at work)”. That is exactly my point, Ronnie shows me he adores me so frequently that I don’t need one day a year to expect it. I prefer it that way; at least I know it comes from his heart, instead of some reminder on a calendar.

2 comments:

Shy Little Violets said...

He's so good to you. I agree with you, it shouldn't be a day just once a year on the calendar, it should be everyday.

Tamara Terrill said...

I feel like Valentines Day is wasted on little kids! Awful, huh? You are very lucky that Ronnie shows you how much he loves you through out the year...lots of us need 1 day a year to drag it out of them!!!