April 11, 2008

Friday Favorites ~ Gardening

Finally, the weather is nice enough for me to do one of my favorite things, gardening.
If you would have asked me three years ago about gardening, I would have probably just looked at you with a blank stare, it's completely different now. There's something peaceful about gardening, something I just can't explain.

It all began three years ago, with Ethan asking if we could grow a vegetable garden and since then it's become this huge, enjoyable part of my life. The first year was just the vegetable garden, the next year was the garden and some flowers. The digging, planting and then watching the flowers bloom brought me so much enjoyment that last year I just went crazy with the flowers. I loved every minute I spent in that garden. Before this, when people would talk about there favorite things to do I would wonder why I hadn't found a favorite hobby. I was enjoying it so much, I hadn't even noticed how happy it made me, Ronnie was the one who pointed it out to me.

Then Ethan's birthday came, and he wanted a dog, so we got Shortie. Little by little that puppy tore apart the gardens in our backyard. I swear it sent me into a depression. I stopped enjoying the flowers that were left; I stopped going outside to tend to the garden. It was like he took that love away from me.

But I won't allow that to happen this year. Ronnie has been working on training Shortie, and we've even talked about paying for some training classes.

This weekend I'll start digging and who knows when it will end....


Here are some pictures of things that are already blooming in my yard:

Daffodils

Tulips
Here are pictures of things I need to replant, after Shortie pulled them out last year:
Butterfly Bush
Lilac Bush

Bleeding Heart


Here are some new things I want to plant:

Zinna's
Daisy's

Purple Daisy's

And lastly, some ground cover I'd like to plant:

Lithodra

I'm sure I'll find other pretty flowers to plant along the way. I'll try to remember to post some picture of the garden once everything starts blooming.

Happy Gardening Everyone!

1 comment:

Shy Little Violets said...

I need to get some tips from you. I can't wait till tomorrow when I can go out and get my soil ready for planting.