May 19, 2008

Our Anniversary

Eight years ago today, I walked down the aisle and married my soul mate and my best friend. For those of you who don’t know our story, we were set up on a blind date. My Aunt Diane met Ronnie through her neighbors (Ronnie’s grandparents), and somehow she knew we were right for each other. I was at a point where I really didn’t want to meet anyone, I was happy being single and not worrying about dating, but she did not let up. She kept calling me until I promised to meet him. So on one Sunday afternoon, we met and as corny as it might sound, when I opened the door and looked at him, I knew he was “The One”. A few years later he admitted he felt the same way when we met. That first week, we went on three dates. After that, we saw each other everyday and we’ve been together ever since.
We were married in a small ceremony in Las Vegas, but it was not a spur of the moment thing (as most assume when they hear “Las Vegas”). I actually booked the garden we got married in about six months prior. We had family and friends there; it was one of the best days of my life. Looking back, there are a few things I’d change. I know people always tell you not to over plan that it’s just one day, and unfortunately, I think we bought into that concept. I wish we would have over done it, just a little. I wish I would’ve done bridal pictures, I wish we would’ve had a sit down dinner reception, I wish I would’ve made a bigger deal about getting my hair and makeup done. Who knows, maybe one day, on one of our big anniversaries, we’ll do it all over and enjoy it more, knowing how great our marriage truly is.
These days, where people seem to believe marriage is something you can walk away from at the first sign of trouble, eight years is a long time. But when I look forward at our future, eight years is only the beginning.
I love the life we have built together and I’m so excited for our future!

1 comment:

Shy Little Violets said...

Congratulations Brandy! I love the kind of marriage you've built.