May 9, 2008

To Punish or Not to Punish, That is the Question

So, my eight year old just hung up on me. Now before you start thinking of ways I could punish him, let me explain why I'm not sure there will be a punishment.
First off, I must say, today is Picture Day at Ethan's school and he's been planning what he was going to wear and how he would do his hair all week (yes, were already at that point). Apparently before school this morning Ethan tried to step in and break up a fight. One of the kids that was in the fight wasn't too happy about that, and yup, you guessed it...Ethan got hit, right under his eye. Normally I would question Ethan's involvement, because I don't believe parents should always take their kids version as the whole truth, but this time it wasn't Ethan who told me, it was a teacher who witnessed the fight. Ethan called me and I could tell he was crying, he doesn't want his picture taken. Because he's in school I cannot see what it looks like, I guess it's red and a little swollen. So what can I say to him over the phone that will ease his mind about this, not much. I tried to explain to him that he should go ahead and get his picture taken, and if he doesn't like it he can have them taken again when they do retakes. That's not much comfort to a kid who has already started to worry about their appearance. That's when he hung up on me.
So how do I punish him for hanging up on me when I want to praise him for trying to do the right thing by trying to stop a fight?
And just in case you were wondering, the boys who were fighting did get in trouble, and the one that hit Ethan is being suspended.

No comments: