May 1, 2008

How Proud Can a Mother Be

Not that I didn't already know, but this morning I was reminded of just how wonderful my kids are. You see, last night they went with their Nana and Grandpa and when they came home they had bought them a lemonade that they had to share. They each drank some of it last night and this morning Sophia took it out of the fridge to finish it, but got distracted and walked away. Ethan finished it off without realizing Sophia hadn't had any. When she saw him throw the bottle away she started to cry. Ethan looked at her, then looked at me, and I could see in his eyes, he didn't know what to do. I suggested that it might be nice of him to get a dollar from the money he's been saving for Pokeman cards and after school buy a drink to share with her.
A few minutes later I walked in his room to let him know we were ready to go and he looked at me and I could see the tears in his eyes. He felt bad for making his sister sad, and as weird as it sounds, that made me so proud of him. I was proud that he cared enough for his sister that when she was sad, he was sad. I was proud that he recognized that something he had done had hurt her feelings, even though that wasn't his intention. And I was especially proud that he wanted to do something to make it up to her.
Siblings fight, it's what we all do, and we all know it, but how wonderful is it that when it really comes down to it, that bond we share will always prevail.

No comments: